October 25th, 2021 @ 12:18 am
so i haven’t watched the sopranos since it was on television originally. i find it so weird and different watching these things straight through in binge mode vs. waiting on a weekly basis for years. man, my generation really was the last generation to have to have patience regarding things like that. i mean, sure there are plenty of shows still airing weekly, but now you have so many options to not have to deal with it. i think the last shows i watched on a weekly basis were “younger” and “the walking dead”. i eventually gave up on the walking dead (i intend to binge it in the future when it’s finally over) and the last season of younger was completely ignored until i could stream it.
anyways, back to the sopranos. i “took notes” from this round of watching, and these were of my favorite things… in no particular order, other than how it was watched:
1. annika pergament was the main news anchor throughout the series! she’s been a regular on my tv since the 90s on NY1.
2. my dad looked exactly like big pussy (RIP dad, RIP big pussy):
3. relatable content:
4. meadow had so much of my wardrobe from the late 90s. there was so much delias, but most notably, my favorite platform vans that vans REFUSES to re-release because they are bums. hers are tan, though.
5. “it was a homeless woman with a daily news up her butt!” – meadow’s weird boyfriend scolding her roommate who was trying to help a homeless woman
6. (tony gets off the phone with pauly, who is lost in the woods with christopher in pine barrens)
“you’re having coffee right?” – carm
[audible sigh] – tony
“…my father has glaucoma.” – carm [looks of anger and disbelief]
7. this imagery:
8. this imagery:
9. “what’s different about you” – tony
“HE HAS NO EYEBROWS TONY!” – carm
10. WTF HAPPENED TO THE RUSSIAN GUY IN THE WOODS?! (upon research: valery’s fate)
11. “it’s a hermies (hermès), supposed to be the best!” – tony giving carm a silk scarf
12. “whoa, slow down, slow down… you’re supposed to savor it, it’s important in life.” – tony to AJ, sipping champagne
13. “you smell that? it’s fucking autumn. it’s like the first fall night when you’re a kid, and the air’s all crisp and you start smelling people’s fireplaces.” – tony talking to christopher, while outside on a crisp night
14. “there’s nothing holding us together but DNA” – janice to tony
15. the scene where junior’s mind is going and he’s watching tv and thinks he’s larry david and that jeff is bobby.
there weren’t that many things that annoyed me about the show. i feel like it was more characters, sudden deaths and missed opportunities than anything else… and well, the ending.
carmella: she should have hooked up with the priest and furio. her emotions annoyed the shit out of me.
tony’s kids: meadow was such an annoying little brat. i love that she was smart, but she was so emotionally annoying and unhinged. AJ was such a fucking wuss. why didn’t tony bring him into the mob? he clearly couldn’t thrive doing anything normal and he needed tough love. honestly, he should have beat his ass in JHS to set him straight. i don’t know how he didn’t put him through a wall, i would have.
paulie walnuts: my #1 hated. what an obnoxious, chauvinistic ignoramus and trouble maker.
every “catholic” on the show that’s in the mob: i’m preeeeeeeeeeeetty sure you’re not supposed to commit murder at the least of the catholic offenses, lol. why even bother claiming catholicism?
janice: JFC. her and AJ were honestly neck in neck on who i wanted to put through a wall more. what a manipulative, emotional, theiving train wreck. i can’t agree with any goon that tries to say she was the female tony, either.
livia: don’t even get me started.
ralph: right behind janice as the WORST. a total POS, a weirdo, a try-hard, also a train wreck… of course he ended up with janice.
christopher: aside from ending up being a total druggy asshole, he had no self-control, he was a hot headed POS that beat adriana for no good reason, etc. – he was just a damn macho goon. i hated how often he hit her.
uncle junior: i AM corrado. i can’t even bitch about him. if you could combine junie and larry david into one human, you’d have me.
tony and the therapist: i REALLY wish she told him who her rapist was and i wish they would have hooked up at least once.
vito: why didn’t he just stay with his handlebar mustache man? yeah, yeah, the kids.
* * *
i’m sure there’s more i’m forgetting, but this is what came to mind.
i also watched the many saints of newark. i didn’t hate it, but i found it kind of uneventful and drawn out. i think it would have been a better mini-series than a movie. i thought james gandolfini’s son did a great job playing young tony.